Design Volkwin Marg and Klaus Staratzke
Project leader Hakki Akyol
Project team Maren Lucht, Max Magis, Evgenia Werner, Bettina Groß, Monika Edzards
Structural engineering schlaich bergermann und partner, Stuttgart; J. Baseler, Hamburg
Client HHLA, Hamburger Hafen- und Lagerhaus Aktiengesellschaft
Construction period 2000–2001
Gross floor area 1,335 m²
Volume 6,275 m³
The former boiler house – put into operation on March 3rd, 1888 – was Hamburg’s first steam power station. The power station built in a neo-gothic style and with red bricks is part of the overall Speicherstadt ensemble, which is under a preservation order. The historic reminiscence is generated via the abstracted envelope of two 16-ton steel chimneys. These 20 m high structures complete the historic silhouette of the old boiler house. At night they are illuminated with floodlights positioned inside the masonry chimney heads.
The ground floor of the western building part is used as foyer. A bridge through the socle of the western chimney leads to the 300 m² large exhibition hall with a café, where the HafenCity model is presented to the public. The restored open rooftruss designed as a steel truss structure with wooden boarding characterizes the light flooded exhibition space. The high room of the former accumulator house adjoins in the east of the hall. It is maintained regarding its vertical proportion und the view into the rooftruss; the high room is used for presentations and projections.