Germany, Berlin 

Langemarck Hall, Olympic Stadium

arrowImagesarrow

Design Volkwin Marg mit Michèle Rüegg
Partner Hubert Nienhoff
Staff Stephanie Hübsch, Chris Hättasch
In co-operation with dem Deutschen Historischen Museum, Ulrike Kretzschmar, Rainer Rother
Existence reconstruction Winfried Brenne Architekten
Structural analysis Pichler Ingenieure
Building services IB Kurth
Project management IPM-Ingenieurgesellschaft für Projektmanagement GmbH
Client Deutsches Historisches Museum, Senatsverwaltung für Bildung,
Jugend und Sport, Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung
Gross floor area 2.500 m²
Construction period 2005–2006

 

Photographers:

Christian Gahl

www.christiangahl.com

The Langemarckhalle was built as part of the Reich Sports Field to plans by Werner March between 1934 and 1936. It is the three-storey middle section of the stands marking the western edge of the Maifeld. The central feature is a 76-m clock tower.

It was originally built as a national memorial glorifying the heroic death of the German soldiers who died near Langemark in Belgium, during the second Battle of Ypres. Today, it is intended to inform about a criminal regime’s abuse of the memory of the dead and youthful enthusiasm.

To this end, the listed building was refurbished and converted into a documentation center in the existing premises, in collaboration with the German Historical Museum. The additional structures needed for the exhibition are deliberately distinct in shape and material from the historic fabric, and remain recognizable as modern additions. The exhibition architecture is simple and robust, formed with aluminum stelae and benches. In the entrance hall, a transparent cube serves as a museum shop, while a multimedia box has room for fifty people as a spacewithin-a-space under the Maifeld stands. The hall itself on the first floor was glazed with large, frameless panes of glass at a distance from the fabric. A glazed lift takes visitors past 10-m-high picture supports up to the viewing platform on the clock tower.