Bibliography

hide

Above the Elbe 

The Hamburg Navigation School 

Above the Elbe The Hamburg Navigation School Above the Elbe The Hamburg Navigation School Above the Elbe The Hamburg Navigation School Above the Elbe The Hamburg Navigation School Above the Elbe The Hamburg Navigation School        
arrowImagesarrow

Above the Elbe. The Hamburg Navigation School
From Rainville’s garden via the Hamburg Navigation School to the Rainvilleterrasse campus

Hardback 84 pages
Language German
Format 19,5 x 29,8 cm
Editor/Autor Meinhard von Gerkan (Ed.), Gert Kähler
Publisher Dölling and Galitz publishers
Price Eur (D) 19,90
ISBN 10: 3-86218-055-7
ISBN 13:
978-3-86218-055-4

Order
www.dugverlag.de

Photographer
Heiner Leiska
www.leiska.de

It is a special place this terrain sloping down to the River Elbe, just below the Elbchaussee next to the “Altonaer Balkon”. Well-to-do ship owners, bankers and merchants have been appreciating it since the seventeenth century. The classicist architect Christian Frederik Hansen built a fabulous residence there, which shortly after 1800 was converted by a French immigrant into a top restaurant and meeting point of great renown in Europe: Rainville’s Garden.

Following its demise and the demolition of the building, there was a second – likewise failed attempt – at a gastronomic use. Then, at the beginning of the 1930s, a largely unknown architect built the Altona Navigation School on the same site in the style of the “Neues Bauen” (New Building). After the school was closed down, the building stood empty for a long time and was forgotten; it was about to be pulled down in order to make way for a new, lucrative office development.

Following protests on the part of Hamburg citizens, a new idea for using the site was found thanks to the initiative of a private charitable foundation under the auspices of the architects von Gerkan, Marg and Partners, an idea which included a public restaurant. This meant that the building could be retained. The book traces the changing fortunes of the buildings, bringing to life two hundred years of local history.