The architects von Gerkan, Marg and Partners (gmp) have won first prize in the competition for the extension of Gebr. Heinemann Headquarters in Hamburg’s HafenCity. The new building designed for the Hamburg-based, tradition-rich trading company impressed the jury as “an independent urban-planning and architectural contribution characterized by timeless, harmoniously self-contained architecture.” Gebr. Heinemann, originally founded as a ship supplier in Hamburg’s Speicherstadt district in 1879 and now a well-known, modern Hanseatic trading house on the international travel market, invited eight architectural firms to participate in the competition.
The task was to extend the two existing warehouse buildings between the Magdeburg Harbor and Shanghaiallee to create an “ensemble of three striking blocks that form a harmonious triad representing the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.” The new structure directly adjacent to the headquarters and including underground parking, six floors of offices, and two recessed floors, will be built in line with the “Sustainable Construction in HafenCity” gold standard.
Viewed from the northwest, the new extension is a companion piece to the Maritime Museum, with the two buildings flanking the “Heinemann-Speicher” in the middle. From the Ericus Bridge, the new construction highlights the corner of the ensemble on Shanghaiallee and makes a characteristically urban statement.
Like the Gebr. Heinemann company, the design reflects both the traditional solidity of the warehouse district and a flexible adaptation to modern requirements of HafenCity. Although a glazed structure connects it to the “Heinemann-Speicher,” the extension is independently useable with an inviting transparent space on the ground floor. Besides serving as an employee entrance, it can accommodate commercial spaces, an arcade, or a café. On the upper floors, users have maximum flexibility in floor plan design. All the requisite functional areas
are compactly organized around the central access area and the available floor space can be used for an open-plan office, individual offices, or anything in between. Like the main building and Maritime Museum, the design is characterized by multistory windows, a vertical façade relief, and brickwork typical of the region. The area freed by the two recessed floors forms two spacious roof terraces/roof gardens, mediates between the different eaves heights of neighboring structures, and adds an urban tone through dramatic cubature.
Gebr. Heinemann SE & Co. KG
Gebr. Heinemann is one of the world’s three most important players on the global travel retail market. The Hamburg-based business supplies over 1,000 customers in over 70 countries. As far as the retail trade is concerned, Gebr. Heinemann is active at 58 airports in 24 countries where it operates 232 Heinemann Duty Free & Travel Value shops, franchised brand boutiques, and concept shops. The company also runs boutiques at border crossings and on cruise ships.
Gebr. Heinemann has been headquartered in Hamburg’s HafenCity since 1879. The company is steered by cousins Claus and Gunnar Heinemann, the fourth generation of the Heinemann family. Gebr. Heinemann has 5,500 employees worldwide. In 2011, the family-owned business had a turnover of 2.1 billion euros. In 2009, the two owners were presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award from the City of Hamburg.
Competition 2013 – 1st prize
Design Volkwin Marg and Jürgen Hillmer with Stephanie Joebsch
Design team Andreas Weihnacht, Achim Wangler, Tanja Hütter, André Wegmann, Katja Mezger
Structural design Weber-Poll, Hamburg
Services Winter-Ingenieure, Hamburg
Fire safety hhp, Berlin
Gross floor area 10,000 m²
Client Gebr. Heinemann Trading Company