Competition 1994 – 1st Prize
Design Volkwin Marg and Jörg Schlaich
Partner Klaus Staratzke
Project team Dirk Vollrath, Marc Ziemons, Reiner Schröder, Ulrich Heiwolt, Torsten Hinz, Hito Ueda, Karl-Heinz Behrendt, Uli Rösler, Maki Kato, lan Pentland
Architects on site Harms und Partner, Hanover
Structural engineers schlaich bergermann und partner, Stuttgart; Project manager: Sven Plieninger
Client Deutsche Messe AG, Hanover and Expo 2000 GmbH, Hanover
Construction period 1995–1996
Gross floor area 35,650 m²
Volume 465,595 m³
The new Hall 4 set in the grounds of the Deutsche Messe AG replaces a previous building, which dates from 1957. The original building conceived as an enclosed shed with no daylight does not meet the modern trade fair hall idyll of extroverted, day lit exhibition buildings as has been realised with the Congress centre and Europe hall. The new hall has also been created as a wide span, support free, roofed over hall with generous areas of glazing with buildings arranged parallel to each other on two sides.
The single storey exhibition area spans without support over 122 m, it is constructed from hollow lens like roof elements, which accommodate the air handling and electrical installation equipment, they are accessible for maintenance.
Set in between these hollow elements and above the load bearing roof truss structure are arranged roof glazing strips, with smoke vents. The clear height created under the bow string trusses and their lower tensile rod members is 11 to 15 m.
The truss form used pays homage to Hanover’s great classical architect Georg Ludwig Friedrich Laves, who invented the double bow truss for use in bridge construction. The exhibition area is accessed through three openings in the two side long buildings, as well as gateways set into the gable ends. The glazed gable and elevations when illuminated create a huge shop window, a quintessential exhibition theme.